Chickweed, Fat Hen and Fennel Soup
A deliciously creamy soup made from garden ‘weeds’.
2 medium onions
2 cloves garlic
Handful of fat hen leaves
4 large handfuls of chickweed
400ml coconut milk
1 tin of borlotti beans
1/4 tsp fennel seeds
Salt & pepper to taste
Water (if needed)
- Peel and chop garlic and leave to one side
- Wash fat hen and chickweed leaves
- Chunky chop onions and put in a pot with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil on medium heat
- Once softened, reduce heat to low and add washed greens and garlic. Allow to sauté until the greens start to wilt
- Add borlotti beans, coconut milk and some salt & pepper, stir and increase heat. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low. Allow to cook for roughly 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add fennel seeds. Blitz until smooth.
- If needed add more water to achieve desired consistency. Taste and add salt & pepper if required.
- Optional – serve with a drizzle of Fennel Oil.
- Depending on the season, this soup could be made with chickweed alone – still delicious!